Re: Oil filter myths and legends

To: Travis Hall <tigerboy65@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Oil filter myths and legends
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 16:35:26 -0700
Travis,

Thanks for relating your experiences.  I would like to take a minor
issue with your conclusions.  While there is a spring loaded bypass for
clogged filters, it is set at a release pressure above the pressure that
would be generated by an OIL and FILTER changed with manufacturer's
recommended regularity.  If the change is, say, every 3,000 miles under
normal use, or 1,000 miles under heavy duty use (defined by MOST
manufacturers as city driving, short drives, severe cold) then the
bypass would never open.

Now we are faced with the decision on what kind of oil and filter.  The
answer is THE BEST, with modern additives.  Castrol is GOOD.  Low
(10W-40) oil for good moderate mileage engines, and the FL1A Motorsport
high efficiency filters.  If you need 50W, or greater,  oil to get good
oil pressure, you really need a rebuild on the engine.

To my knowledge, no automotive filter has TOO MANY layers ($$$$), but
they can get high flow resistance from loading up with particles from
long change intervals, or dirty engines.

Steve

--
___
Steve Laifman