RE: headlights

To: "'Jim Boynton'" <jimboynton@comcast.net>,
Subject: RE: headlights
From: "William van Zwanenberg" <willvz@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 02:17:45 +0100
It sounds to me as though you have a bad grounding somewhere. I would do
the following:

1. Connect two long wires to either a low amperage battery charger or
the positive and negative terminals of the battery. With these cables
and test light, problems can be traced easily.

2.Connect the positive wire to the center of the offending light then
connect the ground wire to the side. This will tell if the bulb works or
not.

3.Next put the bulb in the holder and repeat by attaching the positive
wire to the pigtail of the holder and the negative to the body of the
light fixture. This will tell if the receptacle is O.K.

4.Next, try powering it with the positive only to the pigtail to see if
the ground to the car works. If all is well, go to the first junction in
the harness and try applying power there.

5. Use the test light to work your way along the wire testing for power
as you go.