Ford Distributor Question

Subject: Ford Distributor Question
From: ssage@socal.rr.com
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 23:10:28 -0700
I use an original Ford dual point, mechanical advance distributor that
I've converted to a Pertronix ignition. I want to change over to a Ford
vacuum advance distributor (in an attempt to somewhat improve my 10-12
miles per gallon fuel "efficiency"), which I can probably pick up cheap
at any number of junk yards, and change over my Pertronix to the "new"
distributor. Pertronix says, however, that the ignition module I have,
and the plate it sits on won't work in a Ford vacuum advance distributor
since the two distributors ( the vaccum advance, and the dual point
mechanical advance dist. that I converted to Pertronix) are different
inside where the base plates screw down into the distributor.

Does anyone out there know if this is true? Or, is there any type of kit
to change the Ford mechanical advance distributor into a vacuum advance
distributor?

Thanks as usual.

Steve Sage