Re: In phase ?

To: "Bob Palmer" <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>, "Steve Kenyon" <J&E@ontis.com>,
Subject: Re: In phase ?
From: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 14:55:21 -0800
Uh, I don't think that's what the web site said. It said according to my
myopic eyes, that when in phase, the correct alignment, that hard spots may
occcur. If they do, the move the yokes off alignment by a few splines to
help alliviate the condition.

"When two joints are used on a shaft, the forks of the yokes closest to each
other should be in line, or "in phase".  Premature wear or binding can
result if the u-joints are not phased properly.  If the u-joints are at a
severe angle, even if they are phased correctly, a hard spot in the steering
may occur for no apparent reason.  If this happens, index the u-joints two
or three splines in one direction.  The hard spot should disappear or be
minimized."

Always start assembly with the system in phase.

mayf