First Crisis

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: First Crisis
From: "Shaun Laughy" <shaunl@home.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2001 19:15:16 -0700
Well, after owning our Tiger fro a little more than a month, it got it's first
tow truck ride today!  Accelerating away from light, the car just stalled out
entirely and rolled to a stop without a further sound.  After waiting a
moment, I was able to re-start and go a few blocks before it died again.
Again, I was able to re-start, but it seemed more willing to do so if I was
pumping the gas.  As it seemed to be fuel-related, I tried to get closer to a
gas station (of course, I had passed right by several just about a mile or two
before it quit), I walked to the nearest station, bought a gas can, filled it,
walked back to the car, and added the gas to the tank.  Although I was sure
that I had enough gas (only 67 miles on the tank), I wanted to eliminate this
as a possible cause.  No luck.  I tested for spark and found that the MSD was
happily providing a very strong spark.  Checked that the fuel pump was running
and heard it whirring away happily.  Was able to re-start briefly several
times only to have it die immediately.  Finally, it wouldn't catch at all.
Pulling of the air filter, I was able to see only a very little fuel squirt in
when the secondaries opened.  I figure that I will start tomorrow with
verifying that the pump is actually pumping and I'll check the in-line filter.
Does anyone have any other suggestions?  BTW, the car has a 302 with an MSD
billet distributor and a Holley 4bbl (not sure what CFM).

Thanks for any suggestions or just consolations.
Shaun