Re: Wiring Harness

To: Chris Mottram <c_mottram@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Wiring Harness
From: Larry Paulick <larry.p@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 19:12:27 -0400
Chris, you are more than half way home, with the hardness out of the
car.  I did a new hardness using the existing hardness as a starting
point, for a lot of changes to my wiring system.

If you are going to do more, I will have an article on United to cover a
lot of issues.  But if you are only going to replace the stock wiring
hardness, here is what you can do.

1.  Strip the original plastic wrap off of the original hardness.  You
need to see what is underneath and this is the easiest way.  Trust Me.

2.  Order a new plastic wrap from Eastwood.  It is easy to use, will
duplicate the old plastic, and is cheap.

3.  Visually inspect all wires, pulling the bundle apart, to really look
at each and every wire.  You will probable find that most everything is
good, but if you find fused wires now is the time to replace.

4.  If bad, cut out old wire, solder in new, it need not be the same
color coded wire if it is in the hardness, shrink wrap the solder joint,
and go to the next wire.

5. After you have repaired any problems, rewrap the hardness.

Now you are dealing with a wiring hardness that is solid.

Tip-1 Clean all of the bullet connections, both male and female, with a
good contact cleaner now, or wire brush.  Better lights, etc.

Tip -2 While at Eastwood, they sell a paste, that is used to prevent
oxidation on contact joints, like the bullet connections.  A very thin
coating of this copper impregnated paste, will help the connections, and
prevent further oxidation.  This is true for all connections on the
car.  The paste is enough to do 20 Tigers, but still cheap.

Good Luck

Larry