Dual Brake Master Cylinder Conversion

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Dual Brake Master Cylinder Conversion
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 20:39:25 -0500
Folks,
        Just replaced my single master cylinder with a
13/16" dia dual master cylinder removed from a Mustang
Power Brake Unit.  Had to fabricate a push rod and a
spacer( presently 3/8" thick).  Had to drill a couple
of holes in the firewall as the "ears" of the cylinder
are horizontal, not vertical like the Girling.  Cut one
"ear" nearest the steering column and redrilled it closer
to the Master cylinder body.  The total piston travel is
 1 5/16"( with brake lines disconnected).  This causes
the peddle to be higher than I perfer.  I may adjust the
firewall(non stock Tiger) to give me about an inch lower
peddle before I bottom out on the cylinder and the
firewall at the same time.  This bottoming out design
assumes that the front brake lines would have failed.

        The pressure needed to stop is slightly less than
the original 7/8" Girling (with no power booster).
        The Master cylinder is aluminum and the outlets
are on the passenger side of the cylinder.  I used adapters
to mate with new 3/16" brake lines.  Used double V flare
connections.  ( Used my new RIGDID flaring tool that works!).

    Previously I had  a 7/8" Cast Iron Mustang dual cylinder
and found that the fittings came off the driver's side
and interferred with my hand made frame brace.

         Also at the time I was convienced that a dual
cylinder would require twice the force to push as a
single cylinder of the same diameter.  Wrong  and right.
Inline dual cylinders do not double the needed force.
(I found it hard to believe myself until I did a lot
of math and graphics.)

Side by side single cylinders  do double the force
required and also push twice the fluid volumn per distance
pushed compared to the inline cylinder.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others