Re: Ziebart is THE thing!

To: Laifman@flash.net
Subject: Re: Ziebart is THE thing!
From: DJoh797014@aol.com
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 15:46:34 EST
Ziebart still exists at least in the Midwest.  Though they
have switched focus to sunroof's, pickup beds, paint
sealants, etc.  Rustproofing is now almost a sideline.
That's because Detroit is doing an excellent job of
making their cars less rust prone (not rust proof). But
foreign cars have a way to go when in comes to protecting
against the salt slurry on our Midwest roads.  French and
Italian cars practically dissolve in front of your eyes.
Toyotas and Nissans rust within 2 years.

Consumer Reports once had ratings of Rustproofing.  Rusty
Jones was best but they are out of business.  Ziebart was
next.  They said they best used a paraffin based compound
that did not dry out and would self heal when scratched.
Tar based compounds cracked with age and allowed water
under the rustproofing and rust would there.

I used some Brand X stuff I got from JC Whitney.  I used
the complete kit.  Spraying and painting wherever I could
reach.  Removed door panels, carpets, kick panels, etc.
After 20 years the stuff still has not set up and feels like
black wax when you scratch it with your finger nail.

This is all good for the inside application, but Ziebart is
probably best for the undercarriage.

My companies corrosion chemists all agree that for most,
rustproofing a modern car is a waste of money.  Most cars
carry at least a 7 year rust warranty and that's longer than
the average person keeps a car.  Besides no one knows of
anyone actually getting satisfaction when rust did occur.
Ziebart charges about $400 and then requires $50/year for
annual undercarriage cleaning and touch up.  After 7 years
you'll have $700 invested and that won't cover most major
rust repair.  The Ziebart guarantee says they will fix
it or return your money but at their option.  The best you
can hope for is $400 back (the $50/yr are not refundable).
Ziebart has had the use of your money for 7 years with
no risk involved.  Quite a scam.

Our chemists all say put the money in the market and
you'll be far far ahead.  Or as one said.  Take your money
and throw it out an open door.  Maybe some will blow
back inside.  That's more than you'll get back otherwise.

They did say soundproofing the underside will reduce
noise but may allow for rust if water gets under the
coating.

None of this pertains to you lucky soles who live
outside of the reaches of the tin worm.

Dave Johnson, B38002668, Aurora, IL