It's A Fluid Situation

Subject: It's A Fluid Situation
From: SJC Worldwide <rootes@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 20:01:01 -0800
Hello Everyone:
My new hi-po 289 and 5 speed are installed in my Tiger. (Haven't started
it up yet, though). A questions has come up. The shop that built the
transmission for me recommends straight 30 weight oil in the gear box.
The shop that's done the installation recommends ATF (automatic
transmission fluid) and in fact has already filled it with this. Who's
right, or is there a definitive answer? My mechanics (who build and have
run NASCAR cars for years, and do some awesome hot rod cars and have
done a good number of Tigers through the years) say durability is no
worse and that shifting is easier with ATF. They say the only reason to
use 30 weight is if the transmission is noisier than I like. Any ideas
out there on this?

I'll probably pick up the Tiger on Friday or so. I'll give a full report
on the conversion later next week after I get some miles on the car.
I've had a few functional custom things done to it that I'm interested
in seeing if they work, as I hope they will, mostly in the cooling
department.

Steve Sage
1967 Tiger