Re: MGB Wires from Dayton

To: Siegfried.Doerrer@caminus.com, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB Wires from Dayton
From: FRITZWICH@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 21:15:29 EDT
Siegfried...
The 14X5.5 Dayton 72 spoke chrome wires I had made for my 63 Alpine fit
perfectly and cleared all the suspension components.  I removed the rear
wheel well fender lip because I did experience some rub with full suspension
travel.  I'm using a 185/70-14 tire but, if I were to re-tire the car, I
think a 185/60-14 or 175/70-14 would give a better profile.  I had tried a
Triumph Stag 14X6.0 wheel with a 185/70 tire but it contacted the suspension
in front while clearing everything in the rear.  I also tried a 14X5.0 MGB
wire wheel with the 185/70 tire.  It worked well in the front and rear but
that's when I noticed the longer hub, sometimes called a "snout", and 3 less
threads to lock down the spinner.  Many people are using 14" MG wires on
their Alpines without incident but my personal preference was to have the
shorter, original length hub and some sense of security found in 3 more
threads.
...Rich
PS...are your wheels 60 or 72 spoke