Re:Fuel Tank

To: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Subject: Re:Fuel Tank
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 16:02:22 -0400
At 09:24 PM 5/9/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>James,
> Maybe the sender is temporarily opening the curcuit when the sender is
>being sloshed about by exceleration or cornering. Since the wiper arm is on
>one side check and see it the change occurs depending on the direction you
>are cornering. Durring exceleration it could be floating in and out of
>contact. Tom

Tom,
        Took the sender out of the tank and found no
problems.  This sender is a coax with gasoline dielectric.
1/2" aluminum tube with a 1/8" tube down the center and
a few plastic isolaters to keep it centered.  Found that
reading the label at night with a flashlight and a mirror
was not to accurate.  Turns out it is A Centroid Products
Inc. Not "Central".  Found them on the web and they had
detailed adjustment procedures.  Re did the adjustments
according to directions and now the sender works ok.
It does change a about 1/4 tank reading under corners
or acceleration, but it comes back to normal level now,
Apparently the initial adjustments were such that the sender
failed to work at certain fuel levels.  It had got to
the point that it was on empty with 3/4 full tank.
        The sender had been modified by Fuel Safe by
epoxing a 3/4" brass pipe plug on for mounting.  It
also appears that they enlarged the vent hole in the top
of the outer aluminum tube to 1/4".  (to add some sort
of a wire}.  If I restrict the vent hole then that should
slow down the swings, because the gasoline would not flow
 out of the sender tube so fast.  Might try that this weekend.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others