Re: highway - Head Pull

To: laifman@flash.net, mmcbeth@compusmart.ab.ca
Subject: Re: highway - Head Pull
From: RSpontelli@aol.com
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 17:16:37 EDT
<<Is there anyone out there who has done this in-car head removal and is
willing to share the information on how to handle a set of rear push rods that
Rootes says can=92t be removed?>>

First time I did it, I used clothes pins to hold the push rods at about
half-mast while removing/replacing the heads.  A wee bit awkward, but not
impossible.

The fourth or fifth time I did it, I marked the spots where they'd hit the
underside of the cowl and manufactured an oblong hole on each side.  Enlarge
'em a bit and you can use a pair of door-hole plugs to close 'em up.

The worst part about the job, no matter how you do it, is getting a good torque
on the rear head bolts.  Oh, you can get 'em good and tight, but you just can't
do it with a good reading or a proper 'click' on a torque wrench.

Ramon