Rearend settings

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rearend settings
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 22:53:31 -0700
I am a budget Tiger owner (if there can be such a thing) and in addition to
finding rust colored differential oil I also found a large amount of
backlash (from a wobbly pinion and a large amount of play in the ring gear).
As best I can tell the bearings are still all there (OK). Even though the
manual shows shimming is done on the inside face of the pinion bearings it
appears that a shim placed between the diveshaft hub and the bearing would
work as well. Likewise, it seems that loosening the bearing cap and sliding
the ring gear carrier (leaving the proper backlash) would provide a fix on
my budget. I have neither a large wallet or a Chuchill press and am looking
to make the most of what little I have without pulling it all apart. Any
input appreciated. Thanks, Tom Witt