RE: Tiger transport

To: "'bruce childers'" <bruce_childers@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: Tiger transport
From: Chris Thompson <cthompson@rrinc.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 21:53:37 -0500
I had my Tiger shipped from San Francisco area to Virginia via InterCity, I
think.  I went with the standby rate - 4 years ago it was $600.  It took about
three weeks from the time I called them.  It was an enclosed carrier - I would
never go with open carrier.

The other carriers all recommended strongly against this approach, as you would
expect. It worked for me.  They were courteous, careful, prompt, etc.

All of the carriers back then were willing to negotiate.  Work around shows,
and be flexible on dates, and you can get a good deal.  Just like the airlines,
an empty seat is no revenue, and supply vs. demand dictates price.  Right now
is a prime time to negotiate; it is very slow for them.  Methinks if you call
around and name a price (like $600), and tell them you are willing to wait up
to 60 days, you'll find a willing carrier.  Heck, you won't be driving your new
cat in Pittsburg for another 4 or 5 months, now will you?

Chris Thompson
Executive Vice President
Recognition Research, Inc.
1750 Kraft Dr. Suite 2000