Re: F4B intake manifold

To: tiger list <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: F4B intake manifold
From: pamelam@connix.com
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 20:06:30 -0500 (EST)
>Hold back your laughter folks.  10 years ago I found myself in a similar
>situation.  I lightly greased the fastener in question, cleaned the begeezus
>out of the hole, inserted the fastener, then packed   J-B Weld around it.
>When the epoxy was "Cheesy" I removed the fastener and trimmed the epoxy
>flush with the intake using a razor blade.
>
>I drove that car for four years with that same intake with no problems.

Loctite makes a thread maker kit that I used this year. I was given the use
of a 40 year old compacter to put in a paver patio.  I had to jury-rig the
diaphragm carb to get it running and a half hour into the project the plate
fell off.  Two 9/16" bolts had sheared off and the other was missing (and
so were most of the threads). I used the Threadmaker without the release
agent and grade 8 bolts. It is still solid after many hours of severe duty.
I would not recommend skipping the release agent, as the bolt/stud will
shear before the material gives. Check the torque specs for the repair
carefully if there are no threads left. They advertize a hefty number on
the package, only to find out after you open the package that it is for a
1" bolt. Torque drops off considerably as the size gets smaller, but any
threads remaining will help improve the strength of the repair.

Bob Melusky