inquiry 110299a

To: "National Corporation (E-mail)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: inquiry 110299a
From: "Wright, Larry" <larry.wright@usop.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 07:43:35 -0500
        Steve wrote:
>A word of caution.  Those jack pads are slick.
>And I do not mean "good", I mean "slippery".
>I first used them on lifting the car from the center
>of the cross member.  It was so "slick" that the jack
>pad would slide along the greased front cross member,
>without the jack wheels moving.   Almost lost the car
>by having it fall off the jack.

        Steve, I'm not sure why you'd grease a crossmember
(intentionally, anyway :^>). But my new powder-  and clear- coated one
is a 'slick' surface too. Well, I haven't bought any pads yet, Griot's
Garage used to have them in their catalog but no longer (?); I guess one
possibility would be to cross-hatch them them a hacksaw or a file to
give some grip.

        and:
>So, What's the GQ's new name going to be?

        I mentioned to Kevin Meek recently off-List that, as it was
chosen for both the 1996 and 2000 calendars, perhaps "Calendar Girl"
would be more appropriate. However, B9471418 has been The Garage Queen
for so long -- I should search the List archives to see who named it
that -- it seems a shame to rename the car. So, GQ it remains, even
though I hope it will venture out of the lair more often, and for longer
distances, now.

        Ramon wrote:
>We've always used some negative camber on the
>autocrosser--a BUNCH when we were running the
>Yokohama or BFG radials (plus a wee bit o' toe-out to
>boot);  not so much after we switched to the bias-ply
>Hoosiers.  For the street car, we stick with the stock
>alignment specs.

        Well, I'll hold out a few days looking for alterntive or
reinforcing opinions, but if 'stock' works, then 'stock' it will be. I
haven't found a shop I want to have do the work yet anyhow. I certainly
don't want toe-out, I'm pretty sure. Way back when, immediately after
lowering my Datsun 510, I had toe-out on the _back_ due to the geometry
of the rear suspension. It scared the s*** out of me to drive it over
35mph or so until I had it corrected.

        About the first thing I did after getting the car out of the
garage and running it around the block was to wash it. Geez, it's
amazing how dusty a car can get even when kept indoors. I think this
winter I'll really push Susan to make me a dust cover for the Garage
Queen. Ermine trim, perhaps? :^)

Lawrence R. Wright, Purchasing Analyst
U S Office Products, Mid-Atlantic District
Formerly Andrews Office Products
larry.wright@usop.com (new)
Ph. 301.386.7923  Fx. 301.386.5333