Re: Ahagggggggggggg! again -Reply

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ahagggggggggggg! again -Reply
From: Daniel Jones <djones2@mdc.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 10:39:23 -0500
>Checked the plugs and all appeared to be running too cold
>for my in town driving.  Using Autolite 24 plugs.
>I have to use the manual choke for about a mile when
>I start and then 9 miles of stop-go driving.  The carbon
>is the classic "running too rich,or cold plugs, carbon".
>Plugs have less than 500 miles on them.

These symtoms can also be caused by a weak spark
from the ignition.  You've switched to electronic ignition
but the car was originally points so there may be a
ballast wire or resitor in the circuit that's not required.
A quick and easy way to check spark strength is to
use one of those little testers that looks like a glass
tube spark plug with a grounding clamp.  Mine cost
$8 from the local auto parts place and revealed I did
need the ballast resistor.

Dan Jones