Re: Ducati

To: TigerCoupe@aol.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ducati
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 21:43:26 -0700
At 11:26 PM 4/11/99 -0400, TigerCoupe@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 4/11/99 2:10:57 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
>rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu writes:
>
>> Looks like a very cleaver system that doesn't use any springs. Can we have
>>  them make us some heads for our Windsor V8s???
>
>Bob,
>I take it you feel this is a very sharp system which really cuts the mustard?
>
>Dick

Dick,

Well, it obviously cuts the mustard Dick; or maybe the bologna in this
case. With an MSPR of $16,495 for the '99 model 996 I guess it damned well
aught to. And you only get a choice of two colors; red or yellow. Blast!!
But, let's see what you actually get from their 4-stroke, 90-degree twin
desmodromic DOHC engine. At 11.5:1 compression, and with just under one
liter displacement (996 cc), it puts out 112 HP @ 8,500 rpm. And this is
just their a"street" version. So, I figure with their heads on our 5L
Windsor motors, we should get about 5 X 112 = 560 HP; well, maybe just a
tad less because the Windsor has slightly bigger pistons (4.0" vs. 3.86").
Hey, a piston is a piston is a piston, right? So, based on the $16k MSRP,
and needing four times as many cylinders, we should be able to get these
heads for a about $64k, right?

Bob

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com