Late SV's, Tigers and ride height

To: alpines@autox.team.net, Tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Late SV's, Tigers and ride height
From: "Jay Laifman" <Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 11:05:52 -0800

I mentioned this to the Alpine list, and am now forwarding it to the Tiger
list, to see if there are any other thoughts from Tiger folks.

I have heard and seen written that the very late SV's were much more
similar to Mark II Tigers than the other Alpines were to Tigers.  I have a
very late SV (the one that was totalled in an accident).  It has always had
a higher ride height up front than earlier Alpines that I have seen.  I've
also seen other very late SV's with similar higher ride heights.

Presumably, Rootes was trying to eliminate as many differences between the
Alpines and Tigers to reduce the costs of having different products where
it was not needed.  So, maybe the changes to the Alpines done to the very
late SV's were a product of that "economization."  And, maybe that higher
ride height I've noticed on some late SV's was also attributable to Rootes
putting the same springs on both cars, ie Tiger springs.  Hmmm.

Is there any way to tell from measuring the springs with hand tools (ie
tape measure and calipers) if they are "Tiger" springs?

If this turns out to be true, I may have for sale a pair of factory
original Tiger springs that have seen very little stress relative to 30
years on a Tiger.

Jay