Points Capacitors

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Points Capacitors
From: STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 10:18:30 -0500
     You can't just guess at the value of a capacitor to put across a set
     of points, as in the ignition or the fuel pump.  The value of the
     capacitor must be tuned to work with the inductance of the coil, and
     probably any residual resistance, to minimize the spark at the points.

     Want an example?  My 1980 Jetta, an early model, came equipped with
     TWO condensers on the points, an early production error.  That should
     really soak up the points spark, right?   WRONG!  It messed up the
     tuning, and the points were getting frazzled every few weeks.  The car
     ran lousy, and the unburned fuel killed the catalyst.  Pieces blowing
     out the exhaust pipe.  VW had a recall to fix this, after I tried to
     explain to the dealer several times that two condensers didn't seem
     right.

     Stu