Re: PCV connection at carb

To: Dave Binkley <dbinkley@argotech.com>,
Subject: Re: PCV connection at carb
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 22:27:07 -0700
Dave,

Some day, Dave, you'll have to tell us how you picked the installation
procedure you used out of all of those that were posted. ;-)

If your intake manifold is like a lot of them, there is a "window" cut
between the two sides of the dual planes. I'm not sure if this is the way
they came originally or whether it was just something done by a lot of
folks after they got them. Whether you have this window or not, I presume
the PCV adapter is just a simple open rectangle, which means a lot more
cross-talk between the planes. This being anything like the case, I would
venture to say that it makes no difference whether you point it front or
back. If you were using a carb with a PCV fitting, it would also be pretty
much in the same place, and without any additional opening between the two
sides of the manifold. I'd go for the cleaner installation myself.

Bob

At 10:03 PM 10/19/98 -0700, Dave Binkley wrote:
>Wow, thanks for all the postings on intake manifold gaskets.  The Edelbrock
>F4B is installed  with cork gaskets held in place with gorilla snot, RTV in
>the corners, etc.  I'll be sure to report back once I fire her up.
>
>Now onto connecting up the PCV hose to the carb.  I'm going the same route
>that Steve Laifman wrote about last January.  Holley 1848 carb of 465 CFM,
>no PCV connect on the carb itself.  Got the 1/4" phenolic spacer used on the
>1969 Boss 302.  Still available from Ford last month for about $30
>something.  Looks like the hood is going to close as verified with modelers
>clay on top of the air cleaner with everything sitting on the manifold.  As
>Steve wrote, installing the spacer with the "this side up" puts the PCV
>connection at the front of the carb (close to the primaries) with the tube
>pointing towards the front of the right valve cover.  It's a big tube, 9/16"
>which will require a healthy hose going around the carb to the PCV valve.
>Also puts the hose in the general vacinity of the coil,  Definitely doable,
>but not the cleanest installation.
>
>If the spacer is flipped over end-to-end, it puts the PCV tube pointing at
>the rear of the right valve cover.  Almost pointing right at the PCV valve.
>Nice, neat and clean.  Almost hidden by the carb.  But, it puts the PCV
>connection at the rear of the carb, next to the secondaries.
>
>I have a dual plane version of the manifold.
>
>So, how critical is this???  Is it really going to make a noticable
>difference in how the car really runs?
>
>Thanks for the help.
>
>Dave

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com