Re: Fuel Pump, Which one is best?

To: Laifman@Flash.Net
Subject: Re: Fuel Pump, Which one is best?
From: gary_winblad@juno.com (Gary A Winblad)
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 18:58:17 -0700
On Wed, 05 Aug 1998 11:59:26 +0100 Steve Laifman <Laifman@Flash.Net>
writes:

>Sunbeam Specialties has a modified model, of the original equipment
>design, that
>takes the current load off the points with semi-conductors.  This
>would decrease
>the major problem.  Cost about $100 new.

Hi Steve, good to see you're back from vacation!

BUT, lets stop that rumor right now!
I have taken apart a SS pump and there ain't NO semiconductors
in there!  There IS a new modern (tantalum or mylar?) capacitor
to replace the old huge now defective paper capacitor that you
probably can't get no more!   There IS the same old mechanical
points that give you trouble every 15-20k miles... just so it feels
like the old days.   I do like the way they make noise only when
they need to pump gas though!  And, I use a wrench, but I guess
an umbrella would work  ;-)
I've heard recently that SS can't get the points anymore..
VB has them listed AND the rebuild kit.  I used to get the
points locally at Economy Imports, they are the same as MG,
etc.

Gary