Re: How fast am I going?

To: "Larry Wright" <lrw@aop.com>
Subject: Re: How fast am I going?
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@engravers.com>
Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 21:12:16 -0700
At 07:24 AM 5/22/98 -0400, you wrote:
>OK, looking around, I found the opening, right where it should be. What had
>moved was the socket in the side of the tranny where the cable comes out.
>You see, I have one of "Dale's"  five-speeds; the cable comes out, say,
>directly over the rear trans mount, approx 2-3" further forward, towards
>the front of the car, than stock.
>
>I tried coming out of that opening and bending the cable _back_ to pass
>through the stock hole in the 'frame'. I don't think so. You're talking
>better than a 45 degree bend in a three inch space, really likely to bind
>the cable.
>
>Well, guys? What do you think? Will, for instance, the structure of the car
>tolerate me drilling another hole in the 'frame' to have me route the cable
>straight out from the tranny? Do I have to get one of those 90-degree
>"gearboxes" on the cable like I hear they use on Triumphs, and, if so, what
>good would it do? Anybody else using the T-5, how are you handling this?

>Lawrence R. Wright

Cutting a new hole in the frame is not a major problem.  I had to do this
with my T-5 installation even though it uses a modified Mustang
Tailhousing.  With "Dales" kit, you don't even need to make the hole large
enough to fit the cable end retainer bar since his kit has a weldment to
hold both the adapter and the cable end in place.  I used a hole saw to
"create" this new opening.  Measure twice, and cut once, cause its a lot
less work in the long run.

There are also alternatives to the stock routing for the cable.  I cut a
new hole between the pedals and bring the cable into the interior with out
the necessity to go through the engine compartment.  Size this hole to
accept one of Ricks rubber grommets.  Much neater than stock.  What ever
routing you choose, be sure to give lots of clearance to the exhaust system
or provide adequate heat shielding.  Since the AMC tailhousing has the
speedo below the tranny oil level, seepage of the ATF can be a problem.  Be
sure that the speedo cable vinyl covering is not cut or burned as this
typically leads to drips of ATF.  I would advise using Silicone sealant in
addition to the O-rings to make this area as tight as possible.

Tom