Sheet Metal

To: <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Sheet Metal
From: "Wayne Pierzga" <w_pierzga@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 09:14:01 -0400
Hi:

I am trying to find good sources for some sheet metal parts to my rusting
Tiger II. I need the following parts:

    1.    Passenger side outside rocker panel
    2.    Passenger side lower front fender repair panel for section just in
front of the rocker (piece should be about the same height as the lower door
edge.
    3.    Front floor pan (need passenger side but may also want to replace
drivers side as well).

I would greatly appreciate any useful advice on how to remove the old panels
without compromising their replacement. For example, I can only find a few
areas at the front, rear and on the rocker sides of the floor pan where the
metal is welded inside the passenger compartment. I assume that there are
more areas where the panels are welded or otherwise attached to the car.

Suggested places to look for where the panels are attached would be useful.
Assuming that the above mentioned places are the only weld areas, what is
the best method to separate the welds and remove the old floor pan.
Obviously I do not want to distort the remaining panels.

The rocker looks straight forward - spot welds on the top and bottom of the
piece. But how is the piece attached at the front and rear?

The lower fender piece again looks straight forward - except its rear
attachment.

On the car, there is a large hole in the panel at the rear lower edge of the
front wheel well. The is the obvious culprit for the rust on the rocker and
lower fender. It would appear that there was at one time some form of
sealant between the outer fender and the wheel well which had long since
deteriorated. Its failure allowed water to accumulate in the rocker area and
the rest is history... I am considering filling this gap (after making the
repairs) with body filler. Is this a wise move? If not any good
suggestions????

Finally, I am considering sand-blasting the car in the areas which are
rusted. I have received advice that this may not be a wise move as it
promotes further rusting. I would appreciate sage advice......

Thanks,

Wayne (the car butcher....)