Valve Covers

To: Tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Valve Covers
From: TigerCoupe <TigerCoupe@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 14:40:38 EDT
On Sunday, 3 May, 1998, Allan Connell wrote:

<I have been considering replacing the stock valve covers with aluminium
valve covers if and when I can find some repro or original Tiger or Cobra
covers.  Question is, will I have to lower the engine to get exisiting
valve covers off and new ones on???>

No Allan, you don't have to lower the engine, but there are a couple of tricks
that make the job a little easier.  When working with the R.H. valve cover, I
summarily remove the generator/alternator and bracket.  Despite some added
effort, this just seem to simplify the whole procedure.  You will need to
experiment until you find just the right wrench for removing the rear valve
cover bolt on this side.  When working with the L.H. side, especially with the
taller, cast valve covers, first rotate the engine so that both valves are
open on the No. 8 cylinder (rocker arm tips are both down.)  This will save a
lot of cussing and firewall scratching. On the L.H. side there is a firewall
plug for the back bolt, above the hole for the No.8 sparkplug.

Dick Barker