Radiator Paint

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Radiator Paint
From: Allan Connell <alcon@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 13:05:41 -0700
At , Roland Dudley wrote:
>>A word of warning to those of you living in certain California counties
>>regarding radiator paint.  Unless you don't mind the water based crap
>>the shops in these areas spray on repaired radiators, be sure to let
>>them know you don't want your radiator painted.  This goes for any shop
>>that routinely paints repaired auto parts.  I've made this mistake twice
>>recently and had had to go through the trouble and mess of cleaning
>>this stuff off both times.
>>
>>Roland

Roland is right and makes a very good point.  I was not aware of this water
based paint until I picked my re-cored radiator from the shop and got paint
all over the trunk of my wife's Honda Accord.  THEN I found out it was
water based.  I now regret not having them leave it bare metal and painted
the damn thing myself.  Problem becomes even more evident after
installation.  I am now noting bits of rust and corrosion showing through
on the side straps for the side tanks.  Still does a great job of cooling
but does not look particularly nice and is in a tough spot to touch up
without some real serious masking off.  Point well taken Roland.  Hopefully
I will know better next time.

Allan
B9472373 (San Diego County, BTW)