Re: Under Hood Heat

To: Gary A Winblad <gary_winblad@juno.com>,
Subject: Re: Under Hood Heat
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 08:25:53 +0100

Gary A Winblad wrote:

> Thanks Steve.. and I may be ahead of you on this one...
> I already bought an adjustable proportioning valve  (Summit
> has their house brand thats identical to the name brand
> but cheaper!)

Great.  Want to hear how it works.  Is there any way to identify the original
manufacturer? The correct dual master cylinder for your car will have the same
bore on the disc brake circuit as the current Girling, to give you the correct
disc brake pressure.  You can't  increase the pressure with a proportioning
valve, simply reduce the pressure going to the rears when the system splits
after the input.  So put that new device near (replacing?) the current
distribution block.  Some re-routing is necessary as one line goes in, and two
go out.  One unregulated for discs, and one adjustably reduced for the rear.

> I have heard that the Ford Courier/Mazda b2000 dual master
> cylinder fits fine... ??  I don't want 2 servos (the usual setup).
> So what I was thinkin (and want to know opinions here) is
> go dual circuit and put the servo in the front brakes only..
> Now, they may be too effective so...  I put the proportioning
> valve in the FRONT brake line.
>
> Gary

Gary,

There are a couple of things to consider here:
1) Do you have the room for the longer unit?
2) Do you have room for the Power brake cannister and dual master cylinder that
is also available?
3) Dual circuits on disc/drum systems, or single circuit master cylinders on
disc/drum brakes, are different than the drum brake models.

There were dual master cylinders on 4 wheel drum brake cars. The drum brakes
have springs to return the shoes after braking.  This also pushes the fluid back
into the reservoir.  Disk brakes have no return spring. There is a spring-loaded
check valve in the master cylinder that allows fluuid return by releasing when
the spring pressure returns the fluid. Disc brakes, however, have no such
spring. When you stop pushing, it just relaxes, moving very little of the disc -
maybe even lightly touching.  If you have a check valve, by error, it may just
keep pushing the pads into the discs. (Assuming a Tiger system)

Master cylinders are different for combination systems.  Not only are the piston
diameters of the linked cylinders different, to allow two seperate hydraulic
pressures for the same foot pressure, but there are differences whether there is
spring-loaded internal return valve, to let the fluid back in.

I used a drum power brake single cylinder model on my Mustang, because the front
spring mount prevented anything longer, and quickly drove my disc pad rivets
through those $125 new discs.  Live and learn.

Steve

--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >