Re: brake fluid

To: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Subject: Re: brake fluid
From: Alvin and Lucille Johnson <johnson@ids.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 23:10:06 -0500
> The next step would be to flush the entire system with FRESH
> Castrol Fluid until it runs clear and bubble free. Activate the pistons (step
> on the pedal) a few times to allow fluid on all working surfaces. At this
> point, you have absorbed all the residual moisture. Now you can start adding
> the silicone on top of the hydraulic fluid. They do not mix, but add slowly.

An alternative approach------Steve, when I converted to silicone several
years ago, I first bled a couple of quarts of denatured alcohol thru the
system to chase out the Castrol LMA, bleeding each of the three bleed
screws in turn till the alcohol ran clear, then I added the purple
silicone to flush out the alcohol. I was generous and ran 2 quarts of
silicone thru to be sure I had it all out and when it came out clean, I
closed the bleed screws. At the time the servo was out to Tiger Toms for
rebuild, and a bypass was in place, so I don't know if you could do this
easily with a servo in place. Works great. Firm pedal and no leaks and
no rubber to break down and no lines to rot from the inside out. Be
careful not to shake the silicone up, because its hard to get all of the
air bubbles out if you do.
Worked for me.
Al J.