Re: 5 speed Tranny Conversions

To: "Richard Atherton (Entex)" <a-richat@MICROSOFT.com>
Subject: Re: 5 speed Tranny Conversions
From: Steven Laifman <av342@lafn.org>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 15:20:41 +0100
Richard Atherton (Entex) wrote:

>         As for the 5 speed, I don't need to go to Rover for that.  Any >GM 5
>speed will fit the 4-speed Bellhousing.  Camero's, Corvett's, >Monza's, any of
>them will fit.  I don't know though, I still like 4 >speeds...
>
> Rich
>
> >----------

Well, Rich, you don't even have to go to G.M.  They use the same 5 spd
overdrive as Ford, the T-5, only the mount it at a slight
counter-clockwise rotation so the shifter comes out in the Tiger
location, rather thatn centered.  The new "World Class" is available for
about $1100 new in a box from Motorsport dealers. But, if you've kept up
on this, you'll find they really can't take much torque even with the
"new" version.  The input shaft support bearing is just to far away from
the front end of the input shaft, etc.  A Much better choice would be a
Richmond or a Tremec.  The Tremec, made in Mexico, is from the same
company that made our top loaders, and is much stronger.  The bolt
pattern on any of these is NOT the same as ours, however, and an adapter
plate is necessary and available.  The only problem you may encounter is
the top-loader plate is really three seperate ones, any of which can be
used for the shifter outlet.  These are higher than the T-5 or the Top
loader, and you may have clearance problems with the Tranny cover.
Where there's a will, there's a way.  I found a source for these at
$1089 with aft shifter whn I was considering modifying my '66 Mustang
Convertible.  Luckily I wised up and sold it when I bought the Tiger,
and will stick with the unbreakable 4 spd close ratio top loader that
came stock.  Good luck.

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is avemost     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                         _/
                    _/_/_/