Re[4]: Renewed Faith

To: tigers@autox.team.net, marrone@wco.com (Frank Marrone)
Subject: Re[4]: Renewed Faith
From: "NICHOLSJ" <nicholsj@oakwood.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 96 13:18:53 EST

     Frank,

        I truly do not get your point and I apologize if my comments have
     offended you. My point is, the market for any part for Tigers or
     Alpines is very limited. All total, there were approximately 7,000
     Tigers and 60,000 Alpines made. Do you have any idea of how many MGBs
     were made? They number in the hundreds of thousands. If you were a
     manufacturer of repro parts which market would you concentrate on?
     Check out Hemmings sometime and note the number of MG part vendors
     compared to Sunbeam.  Why are there so many MG vendors compared to
     Sunbeam? It is obvious you can sell more MG parts than Sunbeam.

       If a person floats a trial balloon about reproducing Tiger parts, I
     say give that person all the encouragement possible and make it as
     original as they can, I am in the same boat as the rest of you. There
     is not much fun paying $400 for an air cleaner or $700 for a wood
     steering wheel. My experience tells me the only people who have an
     interest in keeping prices high are people who want to gouge the
     market for what it will bear (a person in CA cones to mind). This is
     the free market at work and it is okay with me.

       I have never met you and when you vigorously defend the sanctity of
     'original parts', I have to guess at your motive. Maybe I was wrong.
     If someone can make a repro steering wheel for $300 versus $700 for an
     original one, let them do it. I am certain a few more buyers can be
     found willing to pay $300 instead of $700. Once again, the free market
     at work. If your point in this discussion is to safe guard your
     investment in Tiger parts, then I understand what your concern is. A
     comparison between art objects and Tiger parts is stretching it and
     does not seem valid to me.

     Jeff