Re: Electric Water Pumps, and radiators

To: bradshaw@utdallas.edu (Keith Bradshaw)
Subject: Re: Electric Water Pumps, and radiators
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 96 13:04:01 PDT

>          > Steve:
>          >
>          > You are missing the point, I think.  The problem here is that the
>flow rate
>          > of the water pump is too high and the coolant has insufficient
>time in the
>          > radiator for heat transference.  The introduction of a rheostat
>was suggested
>          > as a means to slow the pump, allowing (assuming a simple circuit)
>the water
>          > to remain in contact with the radiator for a longer period.
>          >
>          > Rick
>          >
>          >

>          A few months back there was an extended discussion on the
>british-cars
>          recall, there where all kinds of thermodynamic arguments both ways,
>with
>          the final consensus (I think) being that it wasn't possible.
>
>           As I recall, the flat-head Ford V-8 had a problem with cooling as
>the water
>       did go through the radiator too fast for efficient heat exchange and by
>adding
>       a restriction the engine ran cooler..
>
>       I tried this on my Mk 1A heater core and found I had more heat by
>reducing the
>       heater valve opening on cold days than I did running wide open!!!
>

>       mBrad

I believe a similar comment was made on the the Brit car list, and the
response was that the problem was cavitation, not rate of flow and that
the restriction improved cooling by reducing cavitation.

But I'm still not taking sides on this because there's plenty of room
to beat this to death on either side.

Roland