Rob's racer revisited

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Rob's racer revisited
From: lrw@aop.com (LARRY WRIGHT)
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 96 13:29 EDT
Stu wrote:
> need only mention the name of Wally Swift to prove that the hot Alpine is the
>way to go.  He frequently embarrasses Tigers at Autocrosses.  Besides, unless
>you go full bore, like Barry Schonberger's tube frame Tiger funny car, you
will
>always be running for a class trophy.

I really don't recall  ever seeing a Sunbeam before Wally's auto-x Alpine
and its exotic tow car, B382xxxx. All other 'traditional' sports cars except
Lotus and a few other hi-$ cars had yielded to little sedans, mostly
Japanese, at 'crossing around here _except_ him. Told myself that if I
ever got a "sports car", it would the a Sunbeam. Many dollars later...

Ramon wrote:
>Hoooray for that!  For my money, you can take all that "vintage" and
>"historic" doo-doo and jolly well keep it on the road racing circuits,
>wherin the term  "parade-laps" would seem more appropriate than
>"racing."

Well, I gotta say, vintage racing is a lot like pro wrestling; except that
I'd much rather look at old cars than fat guys in Spandex. No, it
isn't _real_ racing, granted. But it does get cars out on the track that
otherwise never would (would you ever figure on hearing this from a
guy with a car called "the Garage Queen"?). Hey, what club couldn't
use a few extra bucks from adding a heat of old cars, ever if it is
exhibition racing? Great photo op, too ("Fellas, I have pictures in my
office of where I went 'racing' this weekend", stuff like that). Not that
I recommend anyone doing _true_ auto-x switching over, mind you.

Keith Bradshaw wrote:
>         I would try to lighten the h_ll out of the car.  Take a lead from
the Lotus 7.
(snip)the car..get it under 1900 lbs.
>       RX-7 with Turbo with bellhousing adapter to take a close ratio 6 speed.
(snip)
>       Maybe put one disc brake on the driveshaft (like a mid 50's Chrysler
(snip)
>       No radiator...coolant tank in center of car.  Use dry ice before run
(snip)(and by the way, event officials are gonna _love_ this when time
comes to stage the car)
>       No battery....start with jumpers...use high energy Ni-Cad to run
>ignition..
(snip)

So we're talking FTD in a car that has the original "Sunbeam" letters-- no,
you'd
use a decal to save weight-- and/or the original deck lid-- no, we gotta do that
in 'glass-- and/or the original Sunbeam ash tray-- no, no smoking next to that
plastic fuel can-- Jeez, might as well paint the car purple and call it the
Phantom!
Course, all this is "just a matter of degree" once the car is non-stock,
isn't it? :-)
Although this is too close to "virtual Sunbeaming" for my particular tastes, it
sure does show the span of options, don't it? BTW, how big of a Nitrous can
would be needed for a 3-minute auto-x run?

Larry Wright, Maryland     "I can't get no-- Satis-traction"
1964 Sunbeam Tiger Mk 1   (302/285, T-5)
1996 Nissan 200SX SE-R       ($TB, 17d BTDC)
1992 Toyota pick-up             (Bilstein, Yoko AVS)
ph 301.386.7979                      fax 301.386.5333
and e-mail at home now!      Larry.Wright@mail.wdn.com
(And I'm looking for a tow-behind cement mixer. Any
ideas?)