Re: Big Question

To: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Subject: Re: Big Question
From: Ken Hansen <khansen@epix.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 22:56:00 -0400 (EDT)

> I'm currently putting together the HiPo 289 for my Cobra and I've come
> to a question I'm going to have to decide the answer to within the next
> week or so:  Do I want to have oversized valves installed in the heads.
> The reasons this has come up is because the machine shop currently has
> my pistons and they will need to have the valve fly-cuts enlarged if I
> decided on bigger valves.  So the question is:  Is it worth the extra
> expense and how will this affect street driveability.  I'm more
> concerned here about overheating in heavy traffic.  Most of my usage
> will be street, but I'm not ruling out an occasional open track
> session.

Roland,
  IMHO, If you are going to stay with the stock cam, I would not bother
to go to the bigger valves.  It is probably more important for you to do
a good port and polish on the exhaust side.  You will see more benefit.
The other thing that you need to know is that the bigger valves will take
away from bottom end and add power in the upper rpm range.  If you are
still running 2.88 rear gears or basicly anything up to a 3.50, it is
probably not going to help very much.

Ken
B382001051