[Thicko] Thickos to the rescue......

To: "Team Thicko \(Team Thicko\)" <team-thicko@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Thicko] Thickos to the rescue......
From: "Gerald Brazil" <gerrybraz@cablespeed.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2008 19:50:53 -0400
 I just came back from Rick Cook's and he has a problem......He pulled his
Bugeye out of the storage barn and brought it down to his shop. He pulled up
in front and had to park it to move something. He shut it off and left it in
1st gear. When he got back in he discovered he couldn't get it out of 1st
gear. Its been years since either of us rebuilt a rib case transmission so
it was sort of like the blind leading the blind.

I recall hearing that Sprites had a tendency to some how get locked in 1st
and reverse at the same time.....I can't recall the solution.

I will try to list the things he has tried....

A)Drained the oil.
B) Took off the side cover and removed the springs from the 2 detent
galleys.
C) Unsuccessfully tried to remove the "detent bullets" from these two
galleys with a magnet .
D) Removed the interlock plug from the bottom.....collected some metal chips
but the interlock ball won't drop out.
E) Jiggled, prodded and levered the shift rods with no positive results.

So, what  is the collective wisdom of the group?

The Scoutmaster