Distributor NOW: racing Part 2

To: "'Deikis, John G'" <John.Deikis@va.gov>,
Subject: Distributor NOW: racing Part 2
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 17:07:08 -0500
Part 2

Now, what's the reason for all this attention on enforcing rules now? I
think there are a couple reasons. I know, because I've been doing this long
enough to witness the evolution... that historically interesting, rare cars,
or cars of exceeding value rarely show up these days, at least not in any
significant numbers like they used to. Sure, some will show up when they're
a featured marque,(and can have a featured race with similar cars)  but many
owners are not happy getting their doors blown off by some recently created
Devin with a fresh tube frame, Nascar brakes, etc. underneath. So, one of
the bets is that by talking about, and proving a commitment to putting on a
race where a somewhat level playing ground is established, that more of that
type of car will again return to our sport.

Now, what's the reason for all this attention on enforcing rules now? I
think there are a couple reasons. I know, because I've been doing this long
enough to witness the evolution... that historically interesting, rare cars,
or cars of exceeding value rarely show up these days, at least not in any
significant numbers like they used to. Sure, some will show up when they're
a featured marque,(and can have a featured race with similar cars)  but many
owners are not happy getting their doors blown off by some recently created
Devin with a fresh tube frame, Nascar brakes, etc. underneath. So, one of
the bets is that by talking about, and proving a commitment to putting on a
race where a somewhat level playing ground is established, that more of that
type of car will again return to our sport.

Will that be a wash? Will we pick up entrants equal to those that go away
mad because we enforce our rules? Only time will tell. The realities are
this. Our sport will continue to get more expensive. It costs more and more
$ to keep these old cars racing. Venue costs will continue to rise. Most
importantly, I think, to consider, is the aging of our membership. At 50,
I'm still a youngster in our sport... but many of the guys that were racing
when I started at 35, are gone. As in, out of the sport, or out of their
homes and in extended care facilities, or off the planet. That's a fact. So,
some organizations try to adjust by sliding the vintage eligible scale
forward in time. Hell, "oldies" radio stations can be playing songs of the
80's and early 90's. Pretty soon, our cars of the 50's & 60's will be looked
upon as the Group 1 Pre-war guys are now.

Another factor...last year at Road America, Group 6. Nobody will come out
and say that... but, a harsh light, a lot of blame (not necessarily fair)
and some bad publicity was heaped upon the VSCDA in a very public way. Let's
look at the origins of that event. When it was Joe Marchetti's Chicago
Historic races, it was very much Joe's event. It was high drama, high style.
Joe determined who raced, who didn't. From there, it became property of Road
America. It evolved into the BRIC. At that time, they needed a sanctioning
body. VSCDA took the job. They got some $ for attaching their name to it,
but the reality was, Road America ran registration, controlled tech, etc. We
really were a figurehead in the deal. Should we have been in that situation?
Not my call, and second guessing at this point is too easy.

Continued in part 3

Wm. Severin Thompson

wsthompson@thicko.com

www.thicko.com <http://www.thicko.com/>