Blackhawk race motor progress

To: <team-thicko@autox.team.net>
Subject: Blackhawk race motor progress
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 08:06:22 -0500
Hey y'all,

The VSCDA's race at Blackhawk is coming up quick.

http://www.vscda.org/

June 16-18
Blackhawk Vintage Classic XIV
Blackhawk Farms, South Beloit, IL
Event Chair: Alan Kupferschmid
Blackhawk Classic Overview <http://www.vscda.org/BlkhwkClassic06.html>
Entry <http://www.vscda.org/Blackhawk06/BlackhawkEntry06.pdf>  Form (PDF)
New! Pit Vehicle Policy (PDF)
<http://www.vscda.org/Blackhawk06/BFR_pit_vehicle_policy.pdf>
Weekend <http://www.vscda.org/Blackhawk06/BlackhawkSched06.pdf>  Schedule
(6/1/06) (PDF)
Lodging <http://www.vscda.org/lodgingblackhawk.html>

I'm scrambling to get all the bits together for one of my back up motors. I
managed to find a stack of lightened steel flywheels in the archives. If I
can find a set of prepared rods, I think I'll have what I need to get
something together. I've got a freshened block, and a new set of Cooper S
pistons fitted to it. It'll be 998 cc.  I've got a freshly cut and nitrided
crank, and a rebuilt damper. I've got a cam & lifters. I've got either the
old Red Rat cylinder head, or what appears to be an old Comptune head.
CC'ing them will determine which I use, as the cam would really like to see
12:1 or 13:1 compression ratio. My (new) machinist is right in Fond du Lac,
and has owned an MG Midget for 20 years, so he's been actively interested in
helping me get this together, and lets me putter around in his shop. We've
got to pressure check the heads, and balance the bits, and I can throw this
together. End result should be a decent spare motor. Redrum's normal race
motor will have to wait for Venolia to cough up one piston. and who knows
how long that can take.

My best time at Blackhawk is in the 1.29's. "Grenade" will be there with his
latest 100 hp 948 cc money pit, so, that alone should be worth the price of
admission.  In the 1275 camp, "Hopper" and "Chopper" have both found the
"fast pedal", Elmo's got his "cheatin' dog" car ready so, things might be a
little crowded in that 1:29 to 1:31 lap time range. Who else is comin?

Irv the Perv has already stepped up with an offer to help with food &
beverage for the Thicko party. Donations are not only welcome, they're
needed. The Thicktones will be there, making noise. (Note..not  music,
noise.).

Blackhawk has many nice places to watch race action close up. so if you're
interested in spectating, let me know, and we'll get you on someone's crew
list.

With 2 daughters at DePaul now ($60k a year for those of you counting), the
already miniscule race budgets is getting tighter. It looks like we'll show
a racecar at the KIC concours in downtown Elkhart (used to be called the
BRIC, and before that, the CHR . Chicago Historic races). We'll make the
Fall Festival. Anything else will require a bucket of money to fall from the
sky.

Wm. Severin Thompson

wsthompson@thicko.com

www.thicko.com <http://www.thicko.com/>