Blackhawk

To: <team-thicko@autox.team.net>
Subject: Blackhawk
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 07:00:38 -0500
Hey y'all.

Long time, no talk.

Well, there will definitely be a Flounder sighting at Blackhawk. Got my
entry in early, even. Last race for me was the 100 degree fiasco at the BRIC
last year. After pissing oil out the back of the motor (again), and yankin'
the motor to no avail, we packed up and headed to the lake, missing the
Group 6 debacle on Sun.

So, yesterday, I got around to pulling the motor out and apart, and
discovered some distortion in the rear seal kit. This motor has 5 seasons on
it, (not like the old days when I could afford to do 6 to 10 races a year).
This motor has never had a lot of oil pressure, and a replacement oil pump
hadn't changed that. so, I expected to see some wear, perhaps significant,
on the bearings. Not so, all bearing. cam, rods, and mains looked really
good. We think the crank (nitrided) will take a polish and be fine.

However, we did discover one (major) issue. the spiral clips on the wrist
pins on one of the Venolias has walked out. It buggered up the piston, and
slightly scored the cylinder. Not sure yet whether the wall will clean up,
and will definitely have to order a piston. I think we all know to be able
to expect to get a piston, even a single one, on short notice from Venolia.

So, borrowing a page from the "Gary Kroft built in excuses" book, I'm going
to finish putting together back up motor #2. It's totally fresh, cast
pistons, good cylinder head, but nowhere near the motor that's normally in
Redrum. Not sure if I have a cam and lifters. I'll be on the hunt for them
over the weekend. So, we'll just have to see how she goes.

We'll do a full blown Thicko party Sat. night. I'll need to know who's
getting to the track early, so you can save a large space near the tech
barn. We'll arrive Friday, mid day. We'll need to do some food coordination.
Thicktones will play. Rumor has it Golanty "rhymes with panty" may not make
it. We're hoping John Daniels can step in and blow the harp without sucking.
Some other "blowin'" is planned, but you'll just have to wait to see what
that's about.

Wm. Severin Thompson

wsthompson@thicko.com

www.thicko.com <http://www.thicko.com/>