please post the TT for me....

To: team-thicko@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: please post the TT for me....
From: Gary Speckman <speckman@coredcs.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 11:58:36 -0500
As many of you know, BlackHawk farms raceway is under MAJOR heat from their
neighbors.  We have been asked to send letters to the council members
indicating our support for the Track.

WST's main puter took a dump, so he asked me to forward his letter to the
powers that be.

>June 24, 1998
>
>Susan McDonald
>Winnebago  County Board
>C702 Yale Bridge Road
>Rockton, IL 61072
>
>Tom Owens
>16735 Comly Road
>Pecatonica, IL 61063
>
>Kristine Cohn
>Chairman, Winnebago County Board
>404 Elm Street, Room 504
>Rockford, IL 61101
>
>Dear Sir or Madam,
>
>It has come to my attention that Blackhawk Farms Raceway and Ray Irwin are
facing some difficulties with potential zoning restrictions. If I may,
please allow me to make some comments on this issue.

>My experience at Blackhawk Farms Raceway dates back over ten years. I've
participated in events sanctioned by the VSCDA, the SCCA, the MCSCC, the
Austin Healey Club of America, and the Ferrari Club. Depending on my
business schedule, I've participated in as many as five events during the
course of a year. I'm the founder of one of the largest vintage race teams
in the world, with members and associates (80+) reaching as far as Europe
and Australia.  In particular, those involved in vintage racing represent
individuals with large amounts of disposable income... seemingly the same
type of individual that the Rockton area would like to attract for their
tourist dollar. My race budget is in the neighborhood of $1000 per event
weekend, with 30 to 50% of that spent in the local economy. This is fairly
typical I suppose... some spend more, some less. Bottom line, the events at
the racetrack  bring a significant amount of money to the local economy.

>I must admit to being extremely disappointed in the lack of a vintage
airplane show at this year's Blackhawk Classic. The airfield and airshow are
qualities that help to separate Blackhawk Farms Raceway from other
facilities around the country whose events we attend. My eighty two year old
father worked for the Luscombe Aircraft Company prior to the outbreak of
W.W.II, and has enjoyed attending the Classic especially due in great part
to the airshow. It was ironic that this year's event, which fell on Father's
Day weekend, did not feature the vintage airplanes, apparently due to some
new zoning regulations.

>Team Thicko maintains a high visibility web site at <http:www.thicko.com>
where we promote our sport and the various venues that host these events.
Last year's Blackhawk Classic event report can be viewed at
<http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/1579/97blkhwk.html>. The
professionally shot photos clearly show not only the beauty of the sport and
vintage racing automobiles, but the beauty of the Rockton area landscape.
This non-commercial web site has been viewed by almost 5,000 people.

>In summary, please understand that we in the vintage racing community
whole-heartedly support Ray Irwin and his efforts at Blackhawk Farms
Raceway, and request that you not only cease placing further restrictions on
his property and business, but recognize it as a valuable asset for the
community that should be embraced and promoted... given all the support
possible.