Re: [Spridgets] Manifold flange thickness

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Manifold flange thickness
From: Bob Spruck via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2020 09:34:06 -0400

--------------4772F596E6370BB423563685

Take an appropriate washer, cut one in half and braze, weld, or JB weld
the half to a whole one and you have a stepped washer! Make a few spares
just in case.

Bob

On 9/5/2020 6:04 PM, Rick Fisk via Spridgets wrote:
> [...]
> between two ports.
>
> Sent from my keyboard
>
>> On Sep 5, 2020, at 5:43 PM, derf <derf247@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> I sit corrected.  It's been a while since I had a manifold off.
>> Seems like my Titan single HIF6 intake had a separate gasked, though.
>>
>> On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 4:39 PM Weslake1330 <weslake1330@gmail.com
>>
>>     On the A-series it should be a single gasket that seals both the
>>     inlet and the exhaust ports at the head.
>>
>>     On Sat, 5 Sep 2020 at 22:37, derf <derf247@gmail.com
>>
>>         I would carefully grind washers. Even if both flanges are the
>>         correct thickness you will most likely have gaskets of
>>         differing thicknesses.
>>
>>         On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 4:31 PM Weslake1330 via Spridgets
>>         wrote:
>>
>>             I would contact Maniflow and ask them what the correct
>>             thickness is to establish if the exhaust is incorrect or
>>             if the inlet manifold is correct and then invite them to
>>             send a replacement part.  I'd also want to be sure that
>>             something that is claimed to be made by Maniflow really is.
>>
>>             Regards
>>
>>             Daniel S
>>
>>             On Sat, 5 Sep 2020 at 20:12, Rick Fisk via Spridgets
>>             <spridgets@autox.team.net
>>
>>                 Send it all back to Maniflow and tell them to get
>>                 their shxt together.  No excuse for this kind of BS.
>>                 They make both parts and they don't match?  Ridiculous.
>>
>>                 Have you contacted them?
>>
>>                 Rick
>>
>>                 Sent from my keyboard
>>
>>>                 On Sep 5, 2020, at 2:45 PM, Michael MacLean via
>>>                 Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net
>>>

>>>                 Have the exhaust faces machined down 35 thou.  Being
>>>                 both Maniflo they should have matched thicknan.  I
>>>                 have the LCB header (I don't know who makes it) on
>>>                 my 1275 and a Titan intake manifold for my single
>>>                 HIF44 carb.  They match perfectly. Supposed to be a
>>>                 standard thickness for the flanges.
>>>                 Mike MacLean
>>>
>>>                 On Saturday, September 5, 2020, 11:22:59 AM PDT, Hal
>>>                 Faulkner via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net
>>>

>>>                 Listerati,
>>>                 Trying to get off my rear end and make some progress
>>>                 in my long term overhaul of FROG AYE, my 1960
>>>                 Frogeye. The engine is now a 20 over 1275 with some
>>>                 porting, oversize valves and VP-SP3 cam. I have
>>>                 replaced the old 3 to one exhaust manifold with a
>>>                 Maniflow LCB, the intake manifold is also by
>>>                 Maniflow, for the HS-2 carbs that came with the
>>>                 car.  The concern I have is that the flange is
>>>                 thicker on the exhaust than on the intake. Torquing
>>>                 the manifolds until the exhaust just touches the
>>>                 block (no gasket for this measurement) leaves the
>>>                 intake manifold with about 35 thousands play.  Of
>>>                 course, this can be taken up in the gasket, but that
>>>                 leaves the washer on the intake side (of the common
>>>                 studs) sitting at a noticeable angle, which ,if
>>>                 nothing else, doesn't look very cool.  The attached
>>>                 photo shows about .035" of feeler between the
>>>                 washero and the intake manifold flange.  The exhaust

  <head>
  </head>
          cut one in half and braze, weld, or JB weld the half to a
          whole one and you have a stepped washer! Make a few spares
      Spridgets wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:D651FD6B-4AC2-4496-AB2D-B8CD03456BE4@chartermi.net">
          charset=UTF-8">
        Since all 5 ports are right in a row only one gasket is used.
         Even if separate gaskets were used everything would have to be
        the same thickness because on 4 of the studs the nuts and
        washers are shared between two ports.
              <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:derf247@gmail.com";>&lt;derf247@gmail.com&gt;</a> wrote:<br>
                had a manifold off.  Seems like my Titan single HIF6
                intake had a separate gasked, though.  </div>
                  4:39 PM Weslake1330 &lt;<a
                    href="mailto:weslake1330@gmail.com";
                    moz-do-not-send="true">weslake1330@gmail.com</a>&gt;
                  wrote:<br>
                  0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid
                  rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
                    gasket that seals both the inlet and the exhaust
                    ports at the head.</div>
                      at 22:37, derf &lt;<a
                        href="mailto:derf247@gmail.com"; target="_blank"
                        moz-do-not-send="true">derf247@gmail.com</a>&gt;
                      wrote:<br>
                      0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid
                      rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
                        Even if both flanges are the correct thickness
                        you will most likely have gaskets of
                        differing thicknesses.  </div>
                          2020 at 4:31 PM Weslake1330 via Spridgets &lt;<a
                            href="mailto:spridgets@autox.team.net";
                            target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">spridgets@autox.team.net</a>&gt;
                          wrote:<br>
                          style="margin:0px 0px 0px
                          0.8ex;border-left:1px solid
                          rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
                            ask them what the correct thickness is to
                            establish if the exhaust is incorrect or if
                            the inlet manifold is correct and then
                            invite them to send a replacement part.  I'd
                            also want to be sure that something that is
                            claimed to be made by Maniflow really is.
                              Sep 2020 at 20:12, Rick Fisk via Spridgets
                              &lt;<a
                                href="mailto:spridgets@autox.team.net";
                                target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">spridgets@autox.team.net</a>&gt;
                              wrote:<br>
                              style="margin:0px 0px 0px
                              0.8ex;border-left:1px solid
                              rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
                                Maniflow and tell them to get their shxt
                                together.  No excuse for this kind of
                                BS.  They make both parts and they don't
                                match?  Ridiculous.
                                        2020, at 2:45 PM, Michael
                                        MacLean via Spridgets &lt;<a
                                          href="mailto:spridgets@autox.team.net";
                                          target="_blank"

moz-do-not-send="true">spridgets@autox.team.net</a>&gt;
                                        wrote:<br>
                                          style="font-family:&quot;times
                                          new roman&quot;,&quot;new

york&quot;,times,serif;font-size:16px">
                                            exhaust faces machined down
                                            35 thou.  Being both Maniflo
                                            they should have matched
                                            thicknan.  I have the LCB
                                            header (I don't know who
                                            makes it) on my 1275 and a
                                            Titan intake manifold for my
                                            single HIF44 carb.  They
                                            match perfectly. Supposed to
                                            be a standard thickness for
                                            the flanges. <br>
id="gmail-m_1978463200746051271gmail-m_2882220137707801936gmail-m_8194808682426589770gmail-m_-5428346373491654872gmail-m_-8959562192658747527yahoo_quoted_9803739150">
                                            style="font-family:&quot;Helvetica
Neue&quot;,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:13px;color:rgb(38,40,42)">
                                              5, 2020, 11:22:59 AM PDT,
                                              Hal Faulkner via Spridgets
                                              &lt;<a

href="mailto:spridgets@autox.team.net";
                                                target="_blank"

moz-do-not-send="true">spridgets@autox.team.net</a>&gt;
                                              wrote: </div>
id="gmail-m_1978463200746051271gmail-m_2882220137707801936gmail-m_8194808682426589770gmail-m_-5428346373491654872gmail-m_-8959562192658747527yiv2032276708">
                                                    my rear end and make
                                                    some progress in my
                                                    long term overhaul
                                                    of FROG AYE, my 1960