Re: How bout a T-5 Tranny?

To: derf <derf247@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: How bout a T-5 Tranny?
From: John Caffrey <jdc6@Lehigh.EDU>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 12:34:15 -0500
derf wrote:
> Anyone know anything about this?  Did they weld the bell housing together?
>

>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Healey-Sprite-MG-Midget-Borg-Warner-T5-Transmission_W0QQitemZ260076694672

Derf,
It would appear that he made a bell housing by welding an aluminum plate
to a cut down trans casing. I'd never heard of this swap even though I
keep up with what the Spridget production racers are doing, but I love
seeing this kind of creativity. It gives me ideas for even more
projects. It seems like a lot of work to do considering the Datsun box
is a bolt-in, but he did save the cost of the installation kit, and
there may be a better gear selection available through Ford Motorsport.
I did read somewhere that Nissan had discontinued the close ratio gear
sets for the 210 trans. Thanks for posting that.
John
Fogelsville, PA