Re: No LBC - Miata Recommendations

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: No LBC - Miata Recommendations
From: Ron Soave <soavero@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 16:30:35 -0800 (PST)
--- Wilkmanracing@aol.com wrote:

> I've owned a 1990 Miata since new.  The so called
> "short crank nose"  problem
> is highly exaggerated.

I was told it was only a problem if an impact wrench
was used on the crank pulley bolt during timing belt
change. I was orig owner of a 1990 and a 2001. The
1990 was bulletproof. The 5 speed was an absolute joy,
it was a real sports car. I sold it to buy a Lotus
Esprit, and I missed it despite the joys only a Lotus
can bring.

The 2001 made it one year in my garage. The 6 speed
was awful. The clutch had a shudder that, despite 2
new clutches with service bulleting upgrade, never
went away. It was heavier, sloppier, and just less fun
than the 1st gen car in every way. The 1999s also had
a latent defect on bearing cap machining that ate
crankshafts and seized engines, stay away if you have
a choice. I drove an automatic once, I've never felt a
bigger difference in a car's character from 5 speed to
automatic (including automatic BMWs, Porsches, and
Corvettes). I'd do all I could to talk her out of the
automatic, but I understand that's probably not very
negotiable.

I drove a 1997 Miata for the better part of a week, it
was a close 2nd to the 1st gen. If I were to buy
another, I'd probably look for a 2nd gen as I'm told
the gearbox is the most durable, and the AC is R-134a
(probably an easy conversion for the 1st gen).

FWIW,
Ron

Cheap talk?
http://voice.yahoo.com