Re: shock absorber secrets

To: "Dale Gleason" <inaverysmallroom@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Re: shock absorber secrets
From: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 12:41:39 -0500
Miles/Dale.....
         No secret. The shaft is splined, tapered, and has a
shoulder. The arm is likewise. There is a washer beneath the large,
inviting castle nut. Because of the shoulders, it can't be tightened,
unless the cotter pin (split pin) is missing and the nut may have
backed off. Very unlikely.
         What has probably happened is that over time with other
areas of looseness, the arm and shaft have worn. We have devised a
suitable repair, but it takes time and some machining. DO NOT WELD
the arm to the shaft. It severely weakens both. There is no on-car repair.
         You need to replace the shock completely. Honest. Safety issue.

         Peter C.
=======