Junkyarding

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Junkyarding
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 16:31:08 -0500
My son invited me to go to an old junkyard down in New Gretna, NJ.
Father/son bonding :)
Anyway, he was after VW parts as he is restoring a 73 Rabbit.
So I searched for alternator that would work, and look correct on Spridget.
Mazda B2000 pick up truck works. I picked up 2 of em.
Those and a MG Midget radio console all for $50.
They had 3 Midgets and an MGB, a few Jags, 2 Fiats, loads of jap cars
that all look the same, 3 Karman Ghias and a bunch of original Beetles.
I even found a new Nardi wood rim steering wheel in the back of an old
box truck along with an Armstrong 3/4 drive ratchet wrench.
Junkyard owner thought the Nardi was a boat wheel and told us to take
it. I love it!
I did ask about a 69 Midget that was very complete but pretty rusty.
$800. I said no thanks. It has "wire wheels" those are worth $1000
alone. Again not to knowledgable junkyard owner. I mean new chjrome
wires yeah, $1000, but used painted semi rusty MG stock wires bring $1
each if your lucky. I have tried to sell a complete set of 5 with good
tires for $100, dropped the price to $20, and took em home anyway.
It did have a dash, instruments, 1275, rib, diff, frontend, complete car
just dull and really bad floors but they were still in it. Even the top
was there with a brown rear window.
Jr got his Rabbit fender and Porsche aluminum door handles that fit the
rabbit. Both of us are happy.
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ