Re: Headlight Relays and Instrument Lamps

To: "James Gruber" <thistle_3619@yahoo.com>, "Spridgets Digest" <spridgets-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Headlight Relays and Instrument Lamps
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 20:51:32 -0600
From "James Gruber" <thistle_3619 at yahoo.com>

Bugsy's Headlights are like all Spridgets almost useless at night and I am
planning on installing relays to help things out. Any recommendations on
best placement?

  For anyone who has installed relays, did it improve interior lamp / dash
lamp brightness once the headlight load was taken away or is it recommended
that a relay be installed for the dash lamps as well. I know there is a
piece of plastic in each lamp to diffuse the light. Any good sources for
something to replace that plastic.

  I'm thinking the switch on the side of the instrument column on my '68
that turns off the dash lamps would be a good place to pick up the
electrical feed for the dash lamps. Any other suggestions on where to pick
up the circuit.

Jim Gruber
Bugsy '68 Sprite (future Bugeye in disguise)
Cincinnati, OH

Good article on headlight relays:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html

Larry Daniels
79 MGB LE
72 Midget
60 Bugeye

"You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it
doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it
shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape."