Re: [FOT] Southwick rear axle conversion

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [FOT] Southwick rear axle conversion
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 14:15:06 -0600
Sender: owner-fot@autox.team.net
At 01:24 PM 2/25/2006, you wrote:
>I'm putting the new upgraded axles in my TR3 that I just got from Southwick
>and have a couple questions for those that have gone through the process.
>The old hub was held in place with 6 bolts (I have (had)  the round version
>hub). The new hub (a ford hub) appears to be held in place only by a piece of
>metal that just barely touches the bearing race and uses 4 bolts. Isn't there
>a significant sideload when cornering? is this little piece of metal the only
>thing holding the axle and hub from "shooting" out the side?

Yes, that "C" clip is what holds it in. Doesn't seem like much but
that's standard practice on all these axles of this design. Kind of surprising.

>  I assume I
>install the brake backing plate first Then slide the axle in place and fasten
>it with the metal plates? Also check the C-clip to see if it fits
>flat against the backing plate. There are a couple of raised areas
>on th backing plate that may hold it away from being flat, so you
>may have to grind a couple of bevels on the C Clip

The way I do this is to remove the rubber o-ring to prevent damage,
put the backing plate on the axle, replace the o-ring, lubricate the
bore that it is going in so it slides rather than rolls, and put the
whole mess into the axle.

>Also does the new assembly require an inner axle seal (it appears that the
>rear end is set up for one.

Not required. It seems that there should be one, and Southwick can
get one special order for you if you wish, but it's not normally
installed. I don't know of anyone who has had a leakage problem.

By the way, I just installed one of these axles in a customer's car
and discovered that the shop had not cleaned the saw shavings out of
the axle tube -- you'd better check yours. That sure wouldn't be good
for the bearings.

uncle jack

===  Help keep Team.Net on the air
===     http://www.team.net/donate.html