[FOT] Southwick rear axle conversion

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [FOT] Southwick rear axle conversion
From: "Mark York" <m-syork@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 11:24:28 -0800
Sender: owner-fot@autox.team.net
I'm putting the new upgraded axles in my TR3 that I just got from Southwick
and have a couple questions for those that have gone through the process.
The old hub was held in place with 6 bolts (I have (had)  the round version
hub). The new hub (a ford hub) appears to be held in place only by a piece of
metal that just barely touches the bearing race and uses 4 bolts. Isn't there
a significant sideload when cornering? is this little piece of metal the only
thing holding the axle and hub from "shooting" out the side? I assume I
install the brake backing plate first Then slide the axle in place and fasten
it with the metal plates?
Also does the new assembly require an inner axle seal (it appears that the
rear end is set up for one.
I'm really confused
Mark

===  Help keep Team.Net on the air