Re: 1275 valve seals

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 1275 valve seals
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 23:58:35 -0000
Hi Chuck,
Seems you could well be right with this.
What I do know, as of a proven fact, is that on my 1275 it was loosing
oil down the exhaust valve guide at quite a rate. I added seals to the
stems and it sorted it out. Done about 5K since then with no apparent
problems.
I suspect a combination of factors, including probably wide stem :
guide tollerance for unleaded petrol.

Returening to the original question from Dan; I would suggest leaving
the seals off to start with (to aid some stem lubrication).  If it
then smokes, as mine did, it is easy to add the seals later (ref: the
string method)

Guy