Re: Canadian cars to US

To: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>, <team-thicko@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Canadian cars to US
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 21:03:44 -0400
I checked into this a few years when I wanted to inport a Mini from Canada.  IT
DEPENDS ON THE AGE.  It had to be 25 years old, or you had to post a bond to the
US Gov. for 150% of the purchase price; then you had to hire a company to
certify that it met all the US safety and pollution standards of the year it was
manufactured in; then you had to pay the company that did this; then you (ha,
ha, good luck) get the US Gov. to give you the bond back.  If the car was
older-----no problem.

This was confirmed when my Innocenti arrived with an Italian title and I took it
to be registered.   Everything was copacetic till I stumbled on producing the
customs import papers certifying that the car was old enough.   As soon as I dug
these documents out it went smoothly.

What is not clear to me is whether or not the age of 25 years is static or
marching.

Geoff Branch
'74 Meejit "Yellow Peril"
'72 Innocenti 1300 Mini