Whiny Rear End

To: Spridgets Digest <spridgets-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Whiny Rear End
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 10:20:10 -0700 (PDT)
Had Bugsy up on jack stands all around today replacing
speedo cable. Got that problem solved finally so I
know approximately how fast Bugsy is actually going
but now all of a sudden I can hear an absolutely
howling/whining/ screaming / rubbing noise coming from
the area of the right rear wheel. Noise is really
apparent with wheels off of the ground. I had heard
noise before but I attributed it to a really
noisy/bent speedo cable.

In the process of replacing rear brakes in the I did
have both half shafts out of the rear end but they
went back in without a problem. I've never topped off
the fluid in the rear end but both paper seals were
saoked along with rear brake with fluid. Made the
assumption that there was fluid in there as I can't
seem to come up with the right sized tool to remove
the plug in the rear end.

Any ideas on where to go at this point? Or just put
the car on the ground and drive it. Noise I'm hearing
is from the thingy in the rear end that switches from
driving one wheel or the other perhaps and will go
away when I put car back down on the ground. Not
likely but perhaps the truth. Any ideas are
appreciated.

=====
Jim Gruber
Bugsy '68 Sprite (future Bugeye in disguise)
Dayton, OH
http://games.yahoo.com/