Re: Piston and Cam questions, NOW with HP considerations

To: "David N Waldmann" <david@vermonthardwoods.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Piston and Cam questions, NOW with HP considerations
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 10:52:54 -0800
David,

The 1380 is done by offset boring the cylinders. To do this properly, you
need a offset bore plate. It is a block of metal taller than the cylinder
head that gets bolted to the block. It already gas the correct offsets
positioned. I know one list member that had one made to build his engine,
and do have it done right, you'll probably have this as an additional
expense to the process.

>From everything I've heard, 1380's have a lot of problems with blowby and
require a  lot of experimentation with multiple breathers to keep oil in
the engine. I'm guessing that overheating in some cases may be an issue
too. And what happens if you uncover a blemish in the cylinder wall in the
process, or, as is possible, you end up opening into an oil gallery? You'll
need to start over with a new block. Some people have success with them
eventually, but I think some wish they'd never gone down that path. Anyway,
I'm not an expert in the 1380 build process, but I know it's not for the
faint hearted.

My intent of breathing comment was to say that improvements in the head,
exhaust, cam and carburation will yeild the greatest results for the least
money and probably (??) aggrivation.

Regarding the "one off" aspect of the cam, I would think you are right
there too.

Gerard